Monday, July 27, 2009
BANGKOK AMAZING GOURMET
Chiangmai is the second largest city in Thailand; however, strange that northern Thai (Lanna Thai) cuisine is not popular in Bangkok. When I meet my Chiangmai friends who live in Bangkok, they never agreed to do Lanna. Their answer - too oily (of Lanna food) and they had enough back in their childhood days. That's also answered why Issan (northeastern Thai) food is relatively popular in Bangkok due to the heavy use of fresh and herbal ingredients with the less-oily cooking method.
Thanks to two expat foodies, finally I am able to sample savory Lanna Thai cuisine in Bangkok!
1. khanom-jeen nam ngew Baht 70; 2. larb moo northern style Baht 100
namprik oong (red) and namprik noom (green)
3. namprik oong-noom Baht 220
4. tord mun pla Gedhawa (spicy deep-fried fish cakes) Baht 85
5. Gedhawa omelet with fermented sausage Baht 95
6. laem mok (spicy fermented sausage northern style) Baht 85
7. yum jin gai (ultra spicy soup with chicken - northern style) Baht 100
8. daily-home-made tubtim krob (red rubies chestnuts) Baht 45;
9. chao kuay (herbal jelly) Baht 45
choice of garden seat or air-conditioned dining room
Since the discovery of Gedhawa, an excuse to visit Chiangmai just for sampling northern Thai cuisine became nonsense.
Gedhawa Lanna Cuisine ****
24 Sukhumvit Soi 35
Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Open daily: Lunch 11am - 2pm, Dinner 6 - 10pm
Pay (food only for two): around THB 500