Tuesday, February 09, 2010
Hua Pla Tang Lao Yee
BANGKOK AMAZING GOURMET
More Than Just Fish Head
Long before Bangkok's epicurean scene sprawling all over the city, Samyan was the center of gourmet for gourmets. C.B.D. white collars and well-off Chula students pick those seafood restaurants in Samyan market (moved last year) and high-so Thai-Chinese foodies visit those no-frills pochana for a real feast.
Hua Pla Mor Fai Tang Lao Yee Samyan (Samyan Fish Head Hot-pot) is the one in business since my grandpa era and still standing strong no matter in years so many hua-pla mor-fai imitations have being raised in the city. Since my first visit almost 15 years ago its food quality always live up to my expectations (if not better), thanks to the owner's one-shop policy.
1. yum pla muek (spicy herbs salad with squid) - squid so fresh, dressing spicy but the heat and sour well balanced with subtly sweet, herbs yield nice aroma, good starter
2. satay pork - marinated pork (with spices and milk) is so tender (but not soft, just tender), another simple but good starter at Hua Pla Mor Fai Tang Lao Yee Samyan
3. hua-pla mor fai (fish head hot pot) Thai Baht 200 - the tomyum clear broth is excellent, a chef friend told me that Thai dishes shall be cooked with a proper balance of 5 basic elements of taste, proper measure of chili in harmony with other ingredients become essential in Thai cooking, not just as spicy as one can take; here the Thai-CN version is mild on heat, all spices and seasoning were well balanced, our tongue doesn't get burn therefore we can enjoy the flavor of the fish head without overwhelming by chilies
4. the spicy dip, soul of most Thai dishes
the wooden table base (legs) and chairs tell the shop has a history!
5. barbecue scallop with Hua Pla Mor Fai Samyan house recipe marinated pork Baht 250
6. sea bass in chili and lime sauce Baht 350, sea bass very fresh, good seasoning sauce yield excellent spicy, salty and sour taste in harmony
7. stir -fried kale with crispy pork
8. baked glass-noodle with prawn in tin-pot Baht 300
Hua Pla Mor Fai Tang Lao Yee ***1/2
241 Chula Soi 11
off Rama 4 Road
Pratumwan, Bangkok 10330
Open daily: 5 - 10 pm
Pay (food only for two): around THB 800