Sunday, June 06, 2010
Waves on land
Some friends still go to Sukhumvit Soi 24 for their lousy but expensive seafood meal; I would recommend that they travel a few hundred meters down the road (towards Rama IV Road direction), make a left turn, try Sornthong.
This decades old pochana (small restaurant) is about seafood for serious eaters, and she deserves you became one of her regulars, like all Bangkok gourmets do.
1. the well marinated and ultra tender pork satay THB 70
2. the moist and bouncy deep-fried sea prawns with garlic THB 300
3. mouthwatering spicy and sour seafood soup (tumyum talay) THB 150
4. fresh and scrumptious deep-fried grouper in three-taste sauce THB 500
5. stir-fried Hong Kong kale with sea asparagus (shellfish) THB 400
6. sinfully delicious iced fresh and condensed milk mix with ginkgo nuts THB 120
Sornthong Restaurant ****1/2
2829 Rama IV Road
Klongtoey, Bangkok 10110
Open daily : lunch 11 am - 2:30 pm, dinner 5 - 10 pm
Pay (food only for two): around THB 1,200 for seafood dining