Tuesday, July 06, 2010
Foreign guide books usually point us to Sukhumvit Soi 15 when we are into a craving for local roasted duck. I ate there several times since the 90's and my most recent visit was a year ago. Disappointing is my only comment left for that decades old duck specialty while she has a formula to descend the quality (of roasted duck) year by year. No wonder local foodies were gone from scene, left only nearby white collars and foreign visitors as major clienteles.
My duck-lover friend pointed me to Nathong Duck in Huaykhwang district.
Yesterday was my third visit to Nathong. Like the other two, the succulent roasted duck again delivers pleasure to my taste buds. Crispy skin with tender meat yield the natural duck aroma in taste having us call Nathong a duck specialty without any shame. Nathong has more than roasted duck to offer. The Nathong chicken is one surprise to me. There, chefs soak the chicken to done, not boil them in water, therefore the meat is firm but tender. Only set back about Nathong is the location, as too far from my home!
1. roasted duck Thai-Chinese style (skin crispy, meat so tender, taste ducky)
2. deep-fried minced shrimp balls (so good, almost wanna eat with fingers!)
3. kale Hong Kong (soft and crunchy, Natong picks quality kale to serve)
4. Nathong chicken (we did feel like eating real chicken meat here, not bland meat)
5. fish maw soup (use of chicken broth so the brown soup taste aromatic,
unlike those oyster sauce base extreme salty one in Yaowaraj)
6. steamed sea bass with chilies in lime sauce (the fish is fresh, too much garlic)
7. fried noodles with shredded chicken in gravy (crispy noodles in mild seasoned gravy)
8. red bean paste dessert on ice (good for my Thai friend, but too sweet for me)
Nathong Duck Restaurant ****
1/16 Suthisan Winitchai Road
Huaykhwang, Bangkok 10320
Open daily : 10 m - 11 pm
Pay (food only for two): around THB 600